Californian Bungalow Extensions Melbourne
Renovating your Californian bungalow requires a custom builder and design company with plenty of experience and a proven history of exceptional design plus construction. At VED we have that history and what’s more make the whole renovation process easy for you. One point of contact for the whole project from concept, design, architect drawings, trade co-ordination and onsite construction
- Fixed Price Contract – No hidden charges or surprises
- Guaranteed Start and Completion Date
- All design and construction planning work in-house
- Architect designed drawings
- Extensions to meet your budget
- Maximise site/land layout for best design
- Heritage Home Overlays renovations
- Specialist period home builders Melbourne
Californian Bungalow Renovation Ideas
We visit your home free of charge to see your home and to get an understanding of your renovation ideas. Often when renovating Californian Bungalows we design extensions behind the existing ridge, meaning the front facade is not impacted the extension. Of course we perform any heritage restoration needed on the facade for your Californian bungalow.
- Build attic storage in the high-pitched gable roof.
- Design open plan living in rear extension.
- Double storey rear extension.
- Floor to ceiling windows and glass doors in rear extension to alfresco.
- Use Extension to add natural light to property (mid 20th century architecture often devoid of natural light).
- Keep context and connection between new and old with use of same materials in both spaces.
- Remodel existing lounge room to bedroom.
- Lay same flooring in both new and old spaces to bring continuity.
- Make new addition a contrast to restored bungalow with cladding and geometric design.
- Retain and rework as much as possible in the existing bungalow to keep in budget.
- Relocate any old garage seperate from the house to beside the house to add more space to yard.
- Keep original features such as fireplaces, leadlights and polished timber floors.
Complete Design and Construct Service
Speak to our team today and book your free home appointment. We will give you an approximate cost for the whole project and design a freehand concept sketch to visualise the project. Our portfolio includes many beautiful Californian bungalows found in the surrounding suburbs if our East Hawthorn location; Camberwell californian bungalows are well known in Melbourne as is the prevalence across most inner east suburbs of this style of home.
Common renovation design requests for Californian bungalows :
- Add ensuite to main downstairs bedroom
- Convert existing bathroom to stairs for new double storey extension
- Add new larger bedrooms in new upstairs addition to overlook backyard
- Add main bathroom upstairs
- New ground floor extension to include open floor plan living areas and kitchen
- Floor to ceiling Bifold glass doors opening to backyard space
- Outdoor deck with inbuilt features such as barbeque, pergola or extended home roof line, privacy screens.
- Swimming pool and surrounding decking/paving with glass fence.
Californian Bungalow Second Storey Extension
If you are wanting a Californian bungalow second storey extension, we can design an extension that;
- Mimics the existing form roof
- T-shaped design second storey
- Design second storey addition to enhance front facade or minimize impact
It is really important to design an extension that adds value to your home, brings modern convenience to your everyday lifestyle and marries seamlessly to your period style home. At VED we deliver high quality renovations designed by an in-house Architect and backed by a family owned and operated building company with over 30 years of experience. Our craftsmanship is award winning and we are industry leaders in Melbourne for building architectural homes of distinction.
Californian Bungalow Rear Extension
Californian Bungalow Architecture and Renovations
In the early 20th century Melbourne discovered a love for Californian Bungalows. Influenced in architecture by American design, these homes are now experiencing new life in period renovation and extensions. Often built in red brick or weatherboard Californian bungalows are most recognisable and loved for their gable roof, deep eaves and deep verandahs.
With our office in East Hawthorn, our focus is on the surrounding suburbs.
For example – Hawthorn, Richmond, East Hawthorn, Camberwell, Glen Iris, Toorak, Armadale, Malvern, Deepdene, Balwyn, Kooyong,South Yarra ,Prahran,Brighton, Abbotsford, Burnley, Cremorne, Carnegie, Ivanhoe,Kew, Elsternwick and other inner East suburbs.
Though we also complete projects including both residential and commercial across Melbourne.
383 Tooronga Rd
Hawthorn East VIC 3123, Australia
+61 3 9832 1900